Choosing the Best Wood Species for Your Door
There are many types of materials used for exterior door construction – metal, fiberglass, wood veneer, and solid hardwood. The choices are virtually limitless. However, wood doors give businesses and homes a certain warmth and charm that other materials do not. Finely crafted wood doors are a source of individual expression and beauty in both domestic and commercial architecture. Below, we will give a short explanation of the main wood species that can be used in door construction so you can determine the best wood for exterior and interior doors.
When it comes to choosing any kind of door be it exterior or interior you need to consider the following: The look you are trying to achieve, the climate the wood will be exposed to and the other building materials that are present in your home or business. Once you can answer these questions, we will be able to help you make the right choice in selecting the right wood species for your custom door.
Common Wood Species Used in Door Making
Which species of wood an owner chooses for his/her establishment says a lot about that person. The type of wood chosen will influence how long the door lasts, how much care it will require and the individual style of the buyer. Below are some commonly used wood species used to make doors and a little about each.
- Pine: This wood is lightweight and inexpensive compared to heavier woods.
- Bamboo: Bamboo doors do a good job at dampening sound.
- African Cherry: This wood is smooth and versatile but can be quite expensive.
- Douglas Fir: This wood is beautiful and can be easily stained.
- White Oak: Virtually impervious to water and moisture, White Oak is great for either interior or exterior doors.
- Red Oak: Stains easily and is quite dense.
- Teak: Teak is extremely durable.
- Pacific Cherry: Is quite affordable but does need to be sealed.
- Knotty woods: Blocks sound but are susceptible to humidity.
- Mahogany: Extremely energy efficient.
Finally, creating ambiance and atmosphere at your restaurant doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Small changes like going over the decor of your establishment can bring in more customers and therefore greater profits. We can help you by supplying you with interior doors that are attractive, sturdy and practical. We even sell commercial doors for your business as well as fitting room doors.